- Bouncy Ball Factory – Youth engineer bouncy balls that meet particular criteria. Using the engineering design process, they develop and test their creations.
- Paper Table – Youth engineer a table from a newspaper that is at least 8″ high and strong enough to hold a book.
- Take Flight – Using everyday materials, youth engineer a glider that can fly straight for 15 feet.
- Keep Your Cool! Design Your Own Cooler Challenge – Youth design a cooler that will keep a bottle of water cool using the engineering design process. They test their prototype and graph their results to determine the effectiveness of the solution.
- Design a Watercraft – Youth engineering a small boat out of straws and plastic wrap that can hold weight.
- Get it Write! – Youth engineering a writing device (pen) using everyday materials. They think about both the (water soluble) “ink” and the delivery mechanism.
Activity: After-School Science PLUS - Download Building with Wonderful Junk and take the challenge! Build a bridge or a platform that meets a set of requirements and test it. Challenge the kids to add to the activity (For example build a bridge that will hold a...