ACRES Training Cohort: Facilitating Math Practices
- Dates: 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM EST on the following Wednesdays: 9/28/2022, 10/12/2022, 10/26/2022 – Are you looking for fun ways to help youth build number sense and problem-solving skills? Math can take on new meaning when it is integrated into daily routines in our afterschool programs. In this module, after school educators will explore and practice strategies for making math engaging and accessible. *The expectation is that you will be live at all three sessions and an active member of this coaching cohort. Register: Use the code AC240MP
ACRES Training Cohort: Facilitating Engineering Practices
- Dates: 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM EST on the following Tuesdays: 10/4/2022, 10/18/2022, 11/01/2022 – Engineering has become a staple of STEM programming for youth. How can we confidently bring engineering into our programming and support youth as they engage in problem solving? In this module, participants gain first-hand experience with engineering by solving a design problem. They examine the components of the engineering design process and discuss ways to model the process with youth. Asking Purposeful Questions is a prerequisite to this skill. *The expectation is that you will be live at all three sessions and an active member of this coaching cohort. Register: Use the code AC281EP
ACRES Training Cohort: Asking Purposeful Questions
- Dates: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM EST on the following Thursdays: 10/13/2022, 10/27/2022, 11/10/2022 – Questions are the beginning of a path towards discovery, imagination, and STEM exploration. How can we help youth expand and clarify their thinking and develop their reasoning through the questions we ask them? This module is a great way to train new summer staff on how to facilitate STEM learning. Experienced educators also love being part of a cohort as a way to connect with other educators across the country, to learn new lesson plans, and to reflect on practice. This is our introductory module and a prerequisite to other opportunities. *The expectation is that you will be live at all three sessions and an active member of this coaching cohort. Register: Use the code AC282PQ
Quality STEM Webinar: DOS Certification Training
- October 19-20 7:00 AM – 1:00 PM PT / 10:00 – 4:00 PM ET (register by October 5) – The training process involves a two-day live webinar training, completion of video calibration exercises, a one-hour live calibration session, and successful completion of two practice observations in the field. PEAR staff offer live, webinar DoS training monthly and in-person training for state networks or organizations can be arranged as needed for an additional cost.
Best Practice Webinar: Preparing Yourself to Lead Computer Science: A Virtual Workshop
- November 8 3:00 PM EST – Join the Click2ComputerScience team as they review specific strategies and ways out of school time educators can prepare themselves, their programs, and space to lead computer science with youth. You will leave the workshop with specific tactics to implement, computer science activities and resources to continue your professional learning on computer science.
Quality STEM Webinar: Recertification Training for DOS Observers
- November 8, 2022 7:00 – 10:00 AM / 10:00 – 1:00 PM ET (register by October 25) – Please note that observers that have been certified for two or more years need to complete recertification to make sure they are continuing to use the tool reliably.
ACRES Training Cohort: Facilitating Science Practices
- Dates: 6:30 PM- 8:30 PM EST on the following Tuesdays: 11/8/2022, 11/29/2022, 12/13/2022 – How can we make sure that ‘hands on’ science experiences for youth are also ‘minds on?’ In this module, participants learn how to support youth as they engage in the science practices to learn science ideas, including planning and conducting investigations around testable questions. They’ll talk about the similarities and differences of questioning in science versus questioning in engineering contexts. Register: Use the code AC283SP.